Thursday, April 4, 2013


Time flies when you are having fun!  It feels so weird that two months of calving has already gone by.  It’s so hard to believe that in 57 more days I will be boarding a plane departing for Sweden! I can hardly wait to see my dear friends again, after more than a year gone by.
Meanwhile spring has sprung, up here in Anahim Lake! The songbirds are slowly but surely returning, filling the air with their sweet melodies. Sunshine has finally become a regular occurrence, reaching temperatures that make you work up a sweat.  There have even been a few sunburns going around. My ear was rather crispy a few days ago.  But the most obvious sign that spring is here would be the hatching and horrendous buzzing of the flies. My swatting hand is again in use. And oh, shock and horror, the first two mosquitoes of the year have been spotted! They had better stay in hiding until I am long gone; I don’t think I could go through another summer of nasty, flying, biting insects.
With all the warm weather, the snow has sure taken a beating. It is truly amazing and wonderful how much it has melted this past week.  The downside of this is that you can hardly walk through the mud (aka cow shit) without almost loosing your boots in it.  Needless to say, my afternoons have been spent digging drainage ditches in an attempt to keep the water levels in the corrals down. It is actually quite fun, reminds me of making little rivers in my sand box when I was little.
The calving has been fairly steady. We’ve had a few very busy days and a few slower days, a nice mix.
We had a great Easter at the ranch.  The boys went on a big Easter egg hunt and got loaded up with sugar. Their cousins and friends were visiting, so that was very fun for them.  We all decorated and died Easter eggs (courtesy of Jackson’s 30 or so chickens), and once again I am reminded that I am not an artist.  That was before eating a big lunch and then an even bigger turkey dinner.  All in all a great day!

No comments:

Post a Comment